WICKWOOD'S FAVORITE CHOCOLATE RECIPES
"All you need is
love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt."
These days we like the serving slightly smaller, the chocolate slightly richer, yet we’ve kept that icy chill so thrilling on a hot day, and the generous dollop of cream atop. No reason to grow up now, it’s too late. Serves 4 or 2 magnificent appetites.
In a small saucepan, heat 2/3 of the
milk with the cocoa powder, just until it beings to boil. Remove
from the heat and drop in the chocolate stirring until it is melted
and smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
"Everyone has a price, mine is chocolate." --- Julia Child
1. Cream the goat cheese and vanilla by hand with a spoon. Melt the chocolate chips and combine with the cheese mixture until smooth. With your fingers form into one-inch balls, or even smaller, and chill. After they are firm, roll in cocoa powder. Refrigerate until 10 minutes before serving.
"Nobody knows the truffles I’ve seen." --- Lucy Arnaz
BREAD WITH CHOCOLATE
AND OLIVE OIL
Heat the oven to 325°F.
Put the bread on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown on both
sides, 5-7 minutes total. Or, we’ve toasted it on the grill if it's
"Ideas should be clear and
chocolate thick." --- Spanish Proverb
PERFECT POPOVERS WITH SUGAR & SPICE
Delightfully indulgent, and the centerpiece of any special occasion, these popovers always please! To ensure your first batch is a success, please read the recipe through completely before beginning. Makes 6 popovers, each large enough for sharing
1. Place a 6-cup popover pan in bottom third of oven. Place baking sheet on rack underneath to catch any drips. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, warm milk until small bubbles form around the edges. Put flour and salt in a fine-mesh sieve; sift onto sheet of waxed paper. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until frothy, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk into hot milk. Gradually whisk in flour mixture until almost smooth.
3. Remove pan from oven; spray cups with butter-flavored non-stick vegetable spray (chemical free, if possible). Fill cups three-quarters full. Bake 15 minutes; Rotate pan 180 degrees. Continue baking until popovers are browned and puffed, 30 minutes more; do not open oven after rotating pan.
4 Meanwhile, 10 minutes before the popovers are to be done, melt the butter and set it aside. Mix the cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl. When you remove the popovers from the oven, let them rest just a moment until they’re cool enough to handle. Remove one from the pan (without puncturing it in any way) and thoroughly brush it all over with the melted butter, then dredge it in the sugar and cinnamon mixture to coat completely. Repeat with each. Enjoy immensely.
5. Savory Option: These can be made into a savory treat by eliminating the butter, sugar and spice and substituting 3 ounces of grated Gruyere cheese sprinkled on top of the batter just before it’s popped into the oven. Heavenly.
CHRISTMAS CRANBERRY CAKE
With sugar and spice and everything nice, this is great for brunch or as a dessert with a dollop of whipped cream.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch spring-form pan generously and wrap the bottom and sides with foil. Set aside. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar, lemon juice and zest, cinnamon and cloves. Cook, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Add cranberries and coat evenly with the sauce, but keep plump, 3-5 minutes. Set aside. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt onto waxed paper. Set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter for 1 minute. Add sugars and continue to cream until smooth and fluffy (1-2 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
3. On low speed, add half of the flour mixture, mixing until combined. Add sour cream and vanilla, and mix until combined. Add remaining flour mixture; mix until smooth.
4. Transfer to spring-form pan, spreading evenly over top of cranberries. Bake 50-55 minutes in middle of oven until golden brown edges begin to pull away from the side of the pan and toothpick test comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run knife around edge to loosen cake. Invert onto serving plate, remove foil, spring form ring and pan bottom. Cut into wedges and serve immediately, or within four hours.