Lime-Poppy Seed Bundt
This Poppy Seed Cake
is a winner with any citrus, but we love lime best!!
"On my desk, I always have a lime drying. I love the fragrance."
--- Maira Kalman, artist (extraordinaire)
LIME-POPPY SEEN BUNDT CAKE RECIPE
• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus
extra for greasing the pan
• 1½ cups sugar
• 4 eggs
• 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
• 2½ teaspoons baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ¾ cup milk
• ½ cup poppy seeds
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Grated zest of 2 limes
• Double recipe of Lime Glaze
1. Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Grease a 10-inch Bundt pan.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light
and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add to the
creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Mix well after each
4. Fold in the poppy seeds, vanilla, and grated lime zest. Pour the
batter into the prepared Bundt pan.
5. Set on the center rack of the oven and bake until the edges
shrink away slightly from the sides of the pan and a cake tester
inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Let the
cake cool in the pain for 30 minutes before turning it out onto a
6. When the cake has cooled, prick holes in it 1½ inches apart with
a long toothpick and pour the lime glaze evenly over the top. Serve
warm with ice cream on the side.
• ¼ cup fresh lime juice
• ¼ cup sugar
Combine the lime juice and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer
gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a light syrup
forms. Remove from the heat and keep warm until using. 12 portions